I started to code when I was about 6 or 7, maybe earlier. With my Dad’s help on his Tandy 1000 in QBasic we wrote my simple first programs like “hello, what is your name?”. It wasn’t long before I realized I could replicate these code blocks, using their
GOTO commands to create text based adventure games. I then tried recreating various games and apps out of programming books and magazines, with varying degrees of success. It wasn’t much later I cracked open the case of the Tandy 1000 to swap in a 3.5″ floppy drive to get a little more storage than the 5.25″.
I’m committed to scalable and performant applications. I like to focus on the entire stack and development life cycle.
- Application development
- Application architecture
- Data extraction and web scrapping
- Integration to 3rd party APIs
- Development of internal and external REST APIs
- Project management
- Software development life cycle
- Database design and development (SQL + NoSql)
- Micro services developemnt
- Big data
- Server orchestration and automated deployments
FOUNDER, AutoMudo.com, Victoria, BC.
2019 – Present
Founded AutoMudo.com, an automotive classified search engine that allows you to search multiple classified sites.
- Built scrapy based (Python) web crawlers for Craigslist, Kijiji, Dupont Registry, and AutoTrader
- Designed and developed the front-end in Next.js
- Used ElasticSearch + MongoDB to power results
- Automated front-end deployments with Gitlab CI/CD
- Went through Y Combinator startup school
- Used Firebase for user authentication, and user options like favorites and alerts
- Used Pelias (opensource geocoder) to enhance location structure and support localized search on the front-end and geo tagging of extracted data
- Currently going through Viatec market validation
Tech stack: Next.js, Python, ElasticSearch, MongoDB, Kubernetes, GitLab CI/CD, Pelias
TECHNOLOGY CONSULTANT, Self Employed, Victoria, BC.
2016 – Present
Worked with multiple companies in the eCommerce and marketing space to grow revenue and scale technologies.
- Designed an implemented SEO strategies
- Developed industry specific WooCommerce template
- Developed industry specific meta data to support SEO and UI goals
- Implemented viral loops and referral campaigns to support marketing efforts
- Developed automated email campaigns to reduce cart abandonment and improve customer retention
- Oversaw the technology stack and viral growth of one company as they grew from a few thousand to over $400,000 monthly revenue
Technologies Used: WordPress, WooCommerce, Drip, CodeIgniter, Active Campaign, Docker
FULL STACK DEVELOPER, GRAVITY LAB, VICTORIA, BC.
February 2016 – December 2016
Developed internal tools to support media buying activities, data analytics, and reporting goals of advertising campaigns.
- Developed MySQL schema to support campaign data from multiple supply side and demand side partners.
- Developed scripts in PHP to extract and transform advertising data from partners
- Developed reporting front-end and Rest APIs in CodeIgniter(PHP) and used Chart.js for plotting
- Integrated into into Xero accounting to automate the process of generating invoices and journal entries created from advertising campaigns
- Developed and tested methods to work towards programmatic media buying
- Used ansible to setup and manage provisioning of servers
Full Stack Developer, YTZ INTERNATIONAL, Victoria, BC.
November 2014 – October 2015
Main developer working on front-end, back-end and server side technologies for a smart VPN service.
- Head developer working with a web designer and project manager to take an idea from concept to viable product while meeting business objectives
- Used various split testing techniques to optimize conversions
- Developed a user focused application using Bootstrap, PHP, MySQL, Cassandra, LUA, HAProxy, and PowerDNS
- Integrated with multiple Rest APIs including, Recurley, PayPal, Stripe, Google and facebook
- Managed server infrastructure of 17 servers and growing across cloud providers, and maintained ansible deployment scripts
- Implemented a QA and deployment environment
Full Stack Developer, WordPress, Beanstream, Victoria, BC.
August 2013 – October 2014
Designed and Built a responsive marketing site in WordPress for Beanstream receiving over 15,000 unique visits per day.
- Responsible for the 7 user focused sites
- Led UX and UI at Beanstream, providing input and designs for mobile applications
- Led SEO optimizations on Beanstream.com and guided practices for digitalriver.com
- Helped and guided a team of 7, to reach the developers by developing the community page developer.beanstream.com
- Designed and implemented deployment and QA infrastructure for a small marketing team
- Taught current infrastructure, responsive design and completed successful hand-off to web designer returning from maternity leave
- Contributed and guided Google Adwords team
CEO, Gnarly Inc
January 2009 – Current
Founded my own design firm that developed consumer focused sites for Sport Organizations, events and businesses.
- Met with clients to take organizational goals to a completed product
- Focused on responsive design, modern UX principles, and cost effective maintenance for clients, often delivered as a WordPress website
Development Tools, Methodologies, & Environments
Linux(Ubuntu Preferred), LAMP (Linux, Apache, Mysql, PHP), LEMP (Linux, NGINX, Mysql, PHP)
MySql, Cassandra, DynamoDB, Firebase, Elastic Search, MongoDB, GraphQL
University of Manitoba, Faculty of Arts
Completed 90 credit hours towards an International Relations with a minor in International Business.
2 thoughts on “Resume of Lawrence Stewart”
I sent you this same message on YYJ Tech :
My digital agency One Net has become a mini incubator and we’re actively creating new products and spinning them out as their own companies.
Our latest creation is a music discovery platform called Hipster Bait ( https://hipsterbait.com ) and we have more on deck.
We’re always looking for talented senior level developers with product vision and leadership skills.
Perhaps a coffee in the next week or so?
Sure, let’s touch base, I’d love to learn about some of the projects you’re working on, I’ll reach out to you on YYJ tech.